"If nothing ever changed there would be no butterflies."
Sweet, juicy and delicious peaches are most commonly used in desserts - and don't get me wrong, I love a good peach dessert, but today I thought I would change things up and add peaches to something unexpected...salsa.
Now if you are a Seinfeld fan like me, you may remember George telling Jerry "Salsa is now the number one condiment in America." To which Jerry responded "...that's because people like to say salsa..."
I can't verify if salsa is the #1 condiment - although it definitely should be but I do agree that it is fun to say "salsa". Say it a few times with a smile ;-)
Why is salsa so great?
It contains healthy ingredients like lycopene rich tomatoes and organ cleansing cilantro and onion. The not so healthy part (which is my favourite part) - is the chips, so try to indulge in them moderately.
How can you enjoy salsa even healthier?
- Try it with a baked black bean or sweet potato chip instead of a fried corn or tortilla chip.
- Dip cut up veggies in salsa - red peppers work great.
- Cut a cucumber lengthwise, carve out the seeds to make a little "boat" and fill it with salsa.
- Sauté zucchini noodles with a little olive oil and then top with salsa.
- Make a taco salad with lettuce and veggies as the base and then top with salsa and a few crunched up chips.
- Top a baked potato with some avocado and salsa.
Whichever way you try it - you are going to love the sweetness that comes with the addition of fresh, summer peaches.
PS. speaking of change - there are a lot and I do mean A LOT of exciting changes going on with Picky Diet! Stay tuned in the next couple weeks for a big announcement...
Fresh Peach Salsa
3 medium tomatoes, diced
2 lightly ripe peaches*
1/4 of a red onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/2 tsp cumin
juice from 1/2 a lime
fresh ground sea salt & pepper to taste
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined.
*try to use peaches that aren't too ripe as they will get mushy, especially if it lasts until day two!
Love this healthy recipe?
Want vegan recipes delivered right to your inbox?