I didn't grow up in an avocado household so I've only just embraced them in the last couple years - at first it was a bit tricky to think about ways to use them but now I can't imagine a day without them…lol - ok maybe one day but definitely not TWO!
Why should YOU eat more avocado?
- They are full of healthy fat - the good stuff that boosts your HDL (good) cholesterol - which helps lower bad cholesterol! The good fats in avocado also prevent diabetes. (Do we really need 4 more reasons past this???)
- Protein - avocados contain all 18 essential amino acids making them a complete and clean protein. Unlike animal protein, this plant based protein is easier for your body to digest and absorb.
- Fibre - 1 cup of sliced avocado has 40% of your recommended daily fibre - keeping your digestive system happy and aiding in your body's natural detoxification process - also preventing against colon cancer. The fibre and protein keep you full - perfect to keep the munchies away.
- Folate - dietary folate intake (from food, not supplements) had been shown to protect against cancer - especially cervical and breast cancers. 1/2 an avocado provides about 20% of your recommended daily folate intake. Guacamole anyone?
- They have Vitamin K - less popular than calcium and vitamin D in the healthy bones department, Vitamin K improves calcium absorption in the body, keeping bones healthy and preventing osteoporosis. 1/2 an avocado has 25% of your recommended daily vitamin K intake.
- spread it on toast with some salt and pepper or sprinkle some hemp seeds on for delicious Avocado Toast - works as breakfast or lunch or a perfect snack!
- make some of my favourite Flavio's Guacamole (click for recipe)
- slice it up on top of vegan chili
- mash it up and use it as a spread on sandwiches or wraps
- slice it up on top of your salad
- add 1/2 of one to your smoothie to make it nice and creamy
- cut one in half, leave the skin on, take the pit out and drizzle a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, sprinkle sea salt and fresh ground pepper and eat it with a spoon! Yum!
Sending you sunshine, happiness and avocado love,
Love this healthy content? Want vegan recipes delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for the weekly Picky Diet Newsletter